Water Quality Monitoring
The Water Quality Monitoring provides information about ecological state of the marine environment to the users through a series of physical parameters as:
• Chlorophyll-a (Chl) concentration, the main parameter for establishing the quality of water (EU Water Framework Directive),
• Total suspended matter (TSM),
• Water Transparency/Turbidity (WT) adopted e.g. in the EU Marine Strategy Framework Directive,
• Sea Surface Temperature (SST), a parameter involved in all the bio-physical processes of the sea.
The water quality information are provided through maps of above parameters and they are intended to be used by regional and national users supporting their specific monitoring requirements or by private firms for abiding environment regulations or supporting aquaculture.
The products are provided both as non real time or near real time maps and on daily basis, weekly or 10-days and monthly, or as single map, according to the user needs and the availability of satellite acquisitions.
• Environmental monitoring for report (Water Framework Directive, Marine Strategy)
• Optimization and integration of monitoring in situ
• Monitoring of water quality during dredging activities for the installation of new off-shore infrastructures.
• Environmental National and Regional Agencies
• Private construction and engineering companies (infrastructure, pipeline)
• Updated knowledge of sea water parameters
• Continuous monitoring of marine areas
• Limited cost of service management